Sunday, August 24, 2008

Undiscovered Chapter 2

This is the last finished chapter I have of Undiscovered.

Chapter 2

We walked into the café, still laughing and giggling from the walk there. I smiled at the warmth of the café and took my jacket off placing it on a chair to hold a table for the three of us. The boys followed my lead and did the same, before following me to the line to give our order. I looked at them. They were so cute together. Nate had his arm around Adam’s shoulder and they were talking sweetly to each other about how the day had been so far. I had never seen a cuter couple. Many people would frown because they were gay, but they were in love and love is love. It doesn’t matter whether it was love between a gay couple or straight couple, love is the same for every relationship. The two of them complimented each other greatly. Where Nate was tough and could have a temper sometimes, Adam was very calm and sweet. They evened each other out and you could tell just by looking at them that they were soul mates. Sometimes when I was with them I felt like a third wheel, but I always got over it.

“Can I help you?” the girl at the counter asked. I stared at her. She was gorgeous. She had beautiful blue eyes and long, wavy blond hair that seemed to cascade down her back, though it was pulled back into a ponytail for work.

“Uh, I’d like…” I was rendered speechless and could not finish my sentence when I saw her eyes. They were blue as the ocean, and I got lost in them. I vaguely heard Adam and Nate ordering behind me and felt myself being pushed forward, but I was still looking into her smiling eyes. She smiled and then turned to the next set of customers. I looked at Nate and Adam who were giving me a strange look.

“What?” I asked, irritated.

“You like her don’t you?” Adam asked, gently, in response.

“No, I just, she looks familiar.” I stated, making up an excuse.

“Liar, you caught her eye and couldn’t look away. Plus I’ve never seen you speechless before. You like her.” Nate said, smiling at me as he grabbed our drinks from the pickup counter.

“I, guess. She just. There’s something different about her guys. I don’t know what it is. I just. When I saw her I just felt something. She can’t be gay though. Things just don’t work that way for me.” I told them.

“She could be gay. Let’s see. You can’t really tell by her outfit because it’s her uniform. Let’s see she gets points because her fingernails are short, plus look at the way she interacts with the girls who are ordering as opposed to the guys. There’s just a different look when it comes to girls. So it is possible she’s gay, but at the same time you can never be sure without talking to her.” Adam stated.

“I’m not just going to go up to her and be like ‘hey are you a lesbian’ that’d be weird!” I stated, staring at Adam trying to figure out what his last statement meant.

“I’m not saying you have to. I’ll go talk to her, see how I feel about her and try to get it out of her somehow.” Adam told me. “You get your butt up there and perform. Show her what your made of.”

“Oh man, please don’t embarrass her or me.” I said, watching as he walked over to the counter. I looked at Nate, afraid of how this could turn out. Nate gave me a gentle shove toward the mic. I grabbed my guitar and headed over. I performed a simple song I had written, and watched Adam as I performed. When I was done, I walked back over to Nate. Adam was still at the counter with the girl.

“Don’t worry he’s good at this. He’s not going to make anything obvious. He’s just going to go and talk to her. It can’t hurt.” Nate said, squeezing my hand across the table.

“You promise?” I asked Nate, still nervous about what Adam was doing.

“Yes, I promise. Adam would never do anything that would embarrass you or hurt you in any way. If he does it right she won’t even know he’s over there for you.” Nate stated, with a smile.

I looked over at Adam. He had the girl laughing. They were deep in conversation, both of them smiling and laughing occasionally. I wondered what he was talking to her about. I wished I could go and join the conversation, but then she would know. If I were to go over she would know that Adam was talking to her for me, wouldn’t she? She would. They seemed to be having a nice conversation though, it didn’t seem like he was making her feel awkward, which was what I was afraid of wasn't it. As I watched, I saw her take her apron off and follow Adam to our table. I looked at Nate with a nervous smile.

“Hey guys, this is Grace. Grace this is my boyfriend Nate, and our friend Angel. Grace is new to town. She just moved here with her sister last month, and got this job hoping to make friends.” Adam said, pulling out the chair next to me for Grace, before sitting down in his seat next to Nate.

“That’s awesome, have you met anyone yet?” Nate asked.

“Not really, most of the people who work here already know each other or much older. I’m just the new girl, and nobody has really welcomed me. I was actually surprised when he came up to talk to me though I’m grateful.” Grace answered.

“How old are you?” I asked, trying to keep the nervousness out of my voice.

“I’m sixteen. You?” Grace replied

“I’m sixteen too. Adam’s twenty, and Nate’s eighteen.” I told her, softly.

“Don’t mind Angel she can be a little shy with new people, but I’m sure you guys will get along fine.” Adam states, making me blush.

“Don’t be embarrassed. I can be shy too, but it’s kind of hard to be shy when you are trying to make friends in a new place.” Grace said, smiling at me.

“ I guess so. Where are you from?” I asked, a little more sure of myself.

“I’m from Philadelphia, so it’s a difference but it’s just a new city. It’s not like I’m not used to living in the city.” Grace responded.

“That’s cool.” I said, unsure of where to take the conversation.

“Grace is an actress. She came here with her sister to go to auditions and be closer to the theatre district.” Adam told us.

“That’s so awesome! I like to sing. My dream is to be in a Broadway show.” I stated, smiling at her.

“Have you ever been to one?” She asked.

“No, I, well we really don’t have the money to go to shows.” I replied to Grace honestly.

“Well, my sister would take you. She’d be thrilled to take someone with us. I usually go with her and her fiancee and she’d be glad I had someone to go with.” Grace said.

“Really?” I asked, excitedly.

“Of course, would you like to come with us one day?” She asked in response.

“Of course, I mean that is if I’m allowed.” I responded, looking at Nate and Adam.

“Why would we say no?” Adam asked, slapping my arm playfully.

“I don’t know I just figured I should ask.” I told him.

“I’ll ask my sister tonight. Do you have a cell phone or anything I could call?” Grace asked.

“Uh, I don’t have a cell phone but I can give you the number to our apartment.” I stated.

“Okay.” She said, taking a napkin and pulling a pen from her pocket, ready to write down the number.

“Now you can say that you made friends here.” Adam stated, watching me write our number down.

“Yeah, my sister will be happy. She has been teasing me that I must be antisocial to not have made any friends yet. Now I can prove her wrong.” Grace responded, ripping the napkin and handing it to me after writing her own number down for me. I could not help but smile.

“Not making friends doesn’t make you antisocial. In this city, everyone is so focused on themselves, that it’s kind of hard to make friends. Most people here will only introduce themselves and befriend you if they want something from you.” I stated.

“Oh, so you must want something from me?” Grace joked.

“Who says I’m most people?” I teased, in return.

“Oh, so you just befriended me for the hell of it?” she asked in response.

“Yeah, I would say so.” I replied.

“In your opinion, that’s unlikely though, isn’t it?” Grace asked.

“Well maybe I do have a reason for befriending you.” I stated, simply.

“That would be?” Grace asked.

“None of your business.” I replied, with a smirk.

“Really now, it’s none of my business?” Grace asked, looking right into my eyes.

“Yeah, it’s none of your business.” I stated. I was amazed that I hadn't stuttered when she caught me in her gaze. Her eyes, really were beautiful.

“Well, then I should get back to work. I’ll call you though. By the way, I liked you performance before, very beautiful.” Grace told me, smiling and waving to Nate and Adam before she walked back behind the counter, and put her apron back on.

“Let’s go home, it just started snowing again. We should get home before it gets too late.” Adam said, standing up. Nate and I followed his lead.

The walk home was quiet. Nate and Adam quietly whispered to eachother. I wasn't sure what they were talking about, and I didn't really care. I was off in my own world. I couldn't stop thinking about Grace. I knew that the likelihood of her being gay, and single was slim. It didn't stop me from dreaming. I could picture holding her close, and feeling her lips on mine. I could picture the sweet smell of coffee and tea from her working in the café. I could picture cuddling up with her and watching a movie. I could picture her smiling at me as we lie content in eachother’s arms. I hoped that it was possible for us to be together, as slim as I thought that possibility was. If it happened I would be the happiest person alive.

3 comments:

mariah; ♥ said...

-makes a Grace plushie and places it next to ze Angel plushie- :3

YAYY~! I love this story. <333

Anonymous said...

What are you saying when you say that this story sucks? It pwns! Way better than footprints, actually. *snuggles Adam plushie*

Anonymous said...

This story is amazen! that's all i have to say. it's amazen. and I would totally want to marry it, but I'm trying to get Enma to let me marry his story. : P
BUT your story is amazen. love it!

<3345