Saturday, August 23, 2008

Undiscovered Prologue and chapter 1

Okay, so here's part of a story I wrote when I was a freshman in high school, and started to completely rewrite about a year ago. I'm not really too fond of how it's coming along.


Undiscovered
Prologue

To tell you my story I need to first start by telling you that singing is very important to me. I sing everyday. Singing makes people feel good. Singing can cheer anyone up, and it can get a message across. Singing is a way of life for me. Singing is the only thing that can always make me happy. Singing is what brought me to my first true love. Singing is what cheered my best friend up in his final moments. Singing ties everything together.

With that said I may begin my tale. My name is Angel Marie Marcus. I’m 18 years old, and I live with my friend Nate in a small apartment in New York. It's a cheap apartment. The rent isn't much, and the apartment doesn't have heat or any of the other luxuries that most people take for granted. That, however, is not important. Only my story is important.

This story is about a first love. This story is about self discovery, and most importantly this story is about friendship. I don’t know where I would have been during all this if it wasn’t for my friends. The only one still with me is Nate, but this story involves others. Love can change a life, and my first love changed mine forever. She taught me so much, in just a few short months. Now she’s gone from my life, but she has made a permanent imprint on me. So I shall start my story from the beginning. I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter 1

I woke up to the sun shining on my face. It was cold in my little room., of course it was, we had no heat. We usually used the fireplace, but that was in the main room, and didn't help to keep my bedroom warm at all. We never sleep with the fireplace lit anyway, for fear we’d start a fire. I lived with my best friend Nate. I had known him my whole life. Our mothers had been friends since they were kids so it was only natural that their kids should be friends too. Nate was two years older than me, he was 18 years old, and I was only 16. Nate was what most girls would call cute. He was tall, maybe about 6 feet and he was pretty built, as poor as we were he still manages to work out. He had curly, blond hair in a bowl cut., and sky blue eyes that made the girls go crazy. Sadly for them, he was gay and taken.

My other roommate was his boyfriend Adam. Adam was absolutely, amazing. He was about 5 feet 8 inches, and was really skinny. He had, buzzed, black hair and beautiful chocolate brown eyes. He was Spanish so he had the perfect tan. He spoke both English and Spanish. He did most of the cooking and cleaning for us. He was also the oldest, at 20 years old. He was, what could only be described as, the mother hen. He made sure that I got to school, he would not let me drop out just because I ran away from home. He made sure I got enrolled when I moved to New York.

I ran away from home last year, when I was 15. I could not take it anymore. My mother worked two jobs just to make ends meat and then my Dad wasted it all buying his alcohol. Then he would come home and hit my mom. I was always locking myself in my sisters room to make sure he didn’t touch her or me. It got to be too much. When he crashed his car on my birthday it was the last straw. My mom went to the hospital to see him ,and I left while she was gone. I told my sister where she could contact me, and not to worry I knew where I was going. She was 12 at the time. The next day I showed up on Nate and Adam’s doorstep. The rest is history.

I smiled and bundled further under my covers. I loved sleeping in on weekends, it was the nicest feeling. I glanced around my room. The walls were a dingy, white and most of the paint was beginning to chip. I covered all that up with paintings that Adam made. I basically took all his sketches and practice paintings, and hung them up on my walls. Most are abstract drawings of buildings and people, however, there are some self portraits and pictures of me and Nate thrown in there. I continued looking around my room. My desk was a mess, piles of homework and papers were all spread out and thrown all over the place. My text books were plopped down in a huge pile on the floor. I groaned just thinking about the weekend homework. The last thing my eyes landed on was my alarm clock, it read 1:00 in the afternoon. Why hadn't anyone woken me up? I liked to sleep in, but I needed to be up by 11, I had a gig at 2.

I jumped out of bed and ran over to my dresser. I could not believe the boys hadn't woken me up! They knew my schedule, one of them usually made sure I was up by 11 on weekends, because I tended to hit the snooze button and not wake up. I stormed into the living room and looked around. The place was a mess. Where the hell was Adam and his cleanliness? He usually had the whole apartment clean on a Saturday morning.

“Adam got called into work if your wondering.” Nate told me, coming out of the bathroom.

“Great….he was supposed to drive me to Planet Java. I’ll never make it now!” I groaned, glaring at him.

“Oh, you mean you didn‘t look outside when you woke up?” Nate questioned, looking at me. I had no idea what he was talking about. Why would I look outside? I never do.

“No, why?” I asked, totally confused.

“It snowed last night, almost everything’s closed. He got called into work because the girl scheduled lives in Jersey and couldn‘t get there today.” Nate explained to me.

“It snowed! Really?” I asked, excitedly. I loved the snow, always had since I was a little girl. I always thought it was pretty when everything lay covered in white, untouched. Of course, living in New York City nothing stays untouched for long. Back home, in Pennsylvania, everything remained untouched for days. We would get a snowstorm, and be snowed in for 2 or 3 days at a time.

“Yup, I promise you. Adam told me not to wake you because he doesn’t want you going all the way to Planet Java in this.” Nate stated, making himself a cup of coffee.

“Glad to know someone’s thinking about me, but I really wish someone would have told me!” I responded, sarcastically. I was not in a good mood, even though I loved the snow. I knew, I wouldn’t be able to get to Planet Java in this weather, but I would have appreciated someone telling me what was going on rather than just making plans for me.

“I just told you Angel. What is wrong?” Nate asked.

“Nothing, okay. NOTHING.” I responded. I would have to take this up with Adam, he was the one who told Nate not to wake me.

“Angel, why don’t you sit down. I’ll go buy us some hot chocolate from up the street.” Nate suggested.

“No, why don’t we just go to the café up the street together, I think I need to go somewhere to get myself in a better mood.” I told Nate. “Plus, I know they usually have an open mic all day, and I want to perform.” I knew I was in a bad mood, and I wanted to change that before I said something I would regret. I smiled at Nate, and went back in my room to get changed and grab my guitar.

“Ok, well I guess I’ll wait for you out here.” Nate said to my retreating form.

“That’s fine.” I stated, as I searched through my closet. I knew the exact sweater I was looking for, but I saw every single sweater but that one. I wanted my favorite sweater. My mother had bought it for me. My sister had a matching one in light blue one at home. My closet was a mess and I knew eventually I was going to have to clean it, but I honestly was not in the mood at the moment. I was aimlessly throwing each shirt, sweatshirt and sweater I saw that was not the one I was looking for on the floor when Nate walked in.

“Wow, do you need help, because your honestly making a mess.” Nate told me, as if I didn’t know that already.

“I know, I know. It’s just I can’t find the sweater I want. You know my pink one, the one my mom bought me.” I stated, frustrated.

“This one.” Nate said, holding up the very sweater that I was looking for.

“Yes, where’d you find it?” I asked, looking around at the mess I had made. Eh, I’d clean it up later.

“It was hanging up in the washroom. Adam must have done laundry.” Nate told me.

“Alright, I’ll be right out, just let me change.” I said, taking the sweater from him and pushing him out the door. I changed into a pair of black jeans and the sweater, smiling at my reflection. I always had what my mother used to call simple beauty. I had long, straight, flowing brown hair and eyes the color of dark chocolate. My skin was always perfectly tan, even in the winter because of the Italian and Spanish in my genes. It also seemed that no matter what I ate, I never gained an ounce. Granted, Nate, Adam and I were struggling artists, working minimum wage jobs, we didn't have much to spend on food and often didn't have much to eat. My face was flawless, besides the one beauty mark by my right eye. I never had to put any makeup on and I could make the boys swoon. The thing was, I was not really into boys. I liked girls, and always had from as far back as I could remember.

Women were gorgeous. I’ve known that I like girls, since I was 5.The first memory I had of liking a girl was back when I was 5. I remembered one girl in particular. She lived next door, and we grew up together. I used to go to her house and bake cookies. We were best friends, until I kissed her. I was 10, and I knew that she was my first crush. There was just something about her that drew me in and before I knew it I had kissed her. She flipped, screamed, slapped me and then threw me out of the house. I never saw her again. Her parents apparently talked to my parents. My mother locked me in my room. I remember hearing my Dad yelling at her and asking where his “dyke” daughter was. He wanted to get at me bad, but my mother wouldn’t let him. She ended up in the hospital that night, and after that we never talked about me kissing Marina. In fact, my mother and I barely spoke at all after that.

“Angel! Are you almost done?” Nate yelled through the door.

“ I’ll be right out, chill!” I responded, opening my door. I grabbed my brush, and carefully brushed my hair.

“I can tell you were thinking, what about?” Nate asked, walking into my room.

“Marina. My first crush. I remember my Dad through a fit, and my mom ended up in the hospital because of it. I don’t regret it though. I can never regret something so wonderful.” I told him, in response.

“ A first crush is never something to regret, no matter the repercussions. My first crush was this kid named Dylan, his brother caught us kissing and beat me up. I still don’t regret it, even after a broken nose and two black eyes. Regret is one of the worst feelings, especially if it’s about something that made you so happy.” Nate stated, smiling at me and handing me my coat and scarf.

“ Definitely. I’m ready, let’s go.” I stated, putting my coat and scarf on, grabbing my guitar and then snaking my free arm around Nate’s waist.

We walked in silence, both of us lost in our own thoughts. I couldn't stop thinking about Marina. She was the first girl I ever had feelings for, and since then I hadn’t kissed another. I dreamed of kissing girls all the time, but I hadn’t really met anyone. I knew there had to be someone out there, but I had yet to find them. I believed in love at first sight and knew that when I met my soul mate I would know. I smiled at that thought. I was interrupted from my thoughts by the feeling of something cold and wet on my back. I screamed and turned to see Adam running at us with a second snowball in his hand. He held his finger up to his lips and nodded at Nate. I held back a giggle, as he hit Nate with it.

“Hey!” Nate turned around, but laughed when he saw that it was Adam who had hit him.

“Hey!” Adam mocked, wrapping an arm around Nate’s waist.

“ Hey Adam, you get out early?” I asked, removing my arm from Nate's waist and holding my guitar with both hands now.

“Yeah, and I saw you guys as I was heading home. Where are you going?” He asked in response.

“To the café, it’s better than being stuck in our freezing apartment. Plus I wanted to walk through the snow!” I responded.

“Why did you bring your guitar? You going to perform?” He asked.

“Well, duh. They always have open mic from 2 until 7. I should get there just in time for it to start.” I replied, as I let go of my guitar with one hand and packed a snowball, throwing it at him.

“You better run.” Adam said, as he started to pack a new snowball.

“Oh no!” I feigned fear and ran toward the café.

“Be careful, you don’t want to slip!” Nate yelled, watching as Adam chased me.

Adam caught up to me quickly. After all, I was only five feet tall and Adam was much taller, so it was easy for him to catch up to me. He grabbed me, and pushed the snowball into my hair. I tried to wiggle free and he just picked me up, gently putting my guitar on the ground. I couldn't help but laugh, this was a typical day for us. We played around like this all the time, it was what keeps our friendship so tight.

“Let’s go I want some hot chocolate!” I yelled, wiggling out of Adam’s arms and opening the door of the café for the two of them, I grabbed my guitar and followed them inside.


2 comments:

mariah; ♥ said...

Wahhh~ *.* That story was SO FREAKING CUTEE!

-makes an Angel plushie and snuggles it- ILOVEYOU. ILOVEYOU. ILOVEYOU. <33333

Anonymous said...

Psh, I want an Adam plushie. <33333